Thursday, February 6, 2014

Where do you get your classic bike parts?

These days there are so many options for locating hard to find parts for your classic bike. 
I personally started by calling one of the few remaining Classic British bike shops I know. I also had some help from my good friend Charlie who provided me with service manuals and some extra parts when I bought the BSA from him almost 4 years ago.
He also took me to my first bike meet complete with bike part flea market. From that point on I have made it my goal to know who I can get parts from since BSA singles aren't super common. I find my best purchases have been at swap meets or through knowing people who are willing to sell. British Only in Canada is a good source same with Don Hutchinsons Cycles in Wakefield MA. But this is all for original replacement parts not for shiny, funky,chic,new parts. I haven't gone that route...yet.
In all seriousness the BSA is staying stock for now.

But where do you all find your parts? Do you go on forums or use eBay? Do you have a cash of parts we all need to know about? What is your favorite part hunting method?

2 comments:

  1. MAP Cycles in Florida is a favorite, Moore Cycle in Conn was another great resource, sadly they're gone …..Klempf's in Minnesota was my go to... for ages, the muffler on this BSA Starfire pictured came from Klempf"s :-) and there is always Don Hutchinson …the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually you need have a short and long list of parts suppliers, because in my experience, they all usually have a part ...that the other dealers don't,some may have more Lucas electric, performance stuff, you can never tell, keep your options open.

    ReplyDelete